- What exactly is Hoos Connected?
So, the idea is that we get together small groups of new UVA students who have some shared experiences and lots of diverse experiences to spend time together and get to know one another over the course of a semester. Each week there is a topic and some activities that your facilitators take you through, all designed to explore the idea of -- and actually foster -- authentic connection.
- What can I expect to get out of it?
Group members report a range of what they feel they got out of Hoos Connected, from ‘it was nice getting to know a few people and having some friendly faces around Grounds,’ to ‘I left with some really close friends and a profoundly changed sense of who I am.’ Generally, Hoos Connected gives students the opportunity each week to relax, reflect, and really get to know your group members. Plus, it’s pretty fun!
- That sounds suspiciously mushy. What if I don’t feel like sharing with my group?
Sharing about yourself is never forced. Do you. Take your time. We want you to have a great experience in the group, and we want the group to be a great experience for others. That might mean something a little different to each person, and we are here for it.
- Who’s going to be in my group?
- If you’re a First Year, your group will be with other First Years who live in your dorm or in a nearby dorm.
- If you’re a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year, your group will be with other peers in the same year as you (if living on Grounds, also from your dorm or in a nearby dorm when possible).
- If you’re a Transfer student, your group will be with other Transfer students.
- Where are the groups held?
Groups are held primarily in the common spaces of dorms! Additionally, there are a few classroom spaces around Grounds designated for upperclass groups. Your exact group location will be announced once you’re placed in your group, about 1-2 weeks into the semester.
- What’s the time commitment like?
You meet with your group each week for 75 minutes. That’s it! There’s no homework and no tests. You just show up with yourself each week.
- How am I graded?
The course is graded as Credit/No Credit. Students are awarded credit by just showing up, really! We want you to be present, both literally and figuratively, throughout the semester (because it makes the groups way more fun). Attendance is the only mandatory thing in Hoos Connected!
- I’m already taking a ton of credits. Is this really something I should add on?
Totally your call. BUT, given that it’s a super low time commitment and one of the few classes you can take that actually reduces stress, it sounds like an excellent idea.
- I already signed up for a COLA. Can I do both?
Yes! Why not? They offer really different experiences. A COLA gives you access to a faculty member (and your advisor) in a small class setting, which is awesome. Hoos Connected gives you access to upperclass students and your peers in an even smaller, very casual group setting, which is also awesome. Both are great additions to a new student’s schedule.
- Am I eligible?
All students at UVA are eligible to enroll in a Hoos Connected small group!
- How do I sign up?
Go to SIS and enroll in PSYC1020! Groups meet Mondays at 4:00 pm, Mondays at 5:30 pm, or Tuesdays at 5:30 pm.
- Who leads my group?
Two upperclass students facilitate each group. These students first take a semester-long class teaching them all about Hoos Connected and how to facilitate groups. They all are *so* nice and caring and interesting and thoughtful. They’re also great resources to get advice from or answers to questions, big or small, about the UVA experience.
- How can I become a facilitator?
Interested students should check the "Become a Hoos Connected Facilitator" section under the "Join Here" tab of our website to know when applications are open. Applicants are typically asked to send in...
- Their CV or resume
- Their unofficial transcript
- A short paragraph about why they are interested in becoming a facilitator
- I have more questions, who should I ask?
Feel free to email [email protected] with any questions!